Mission: The mission of the Diversity Committee is to work collaboratively with advocate for and support diversity in law schools, to encourage academic support programs to engage in practices that promote and support diversity, to promote the recruitment and retention of diverse academic support professionals, and to provide resources that enhance knowledge and encourage understanding of diversity. The Committee honors ASP’s traditional role in supporting racial diversity in law schools and endorses a broad definition of diversity, that includes but is not limited to: race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, ethnicity, physical or mental disability, and socio-economic status. To accomplish this mission, the Committee will:
- Research and distribute materials that contribute to an understanding of what diversity is and why it is important.
- Identify and share resources for integrating diversity into ASP programming.
- Identify and share ways in which law schools can increase the diversity of their student bodies.
- Advance the recruitment and retention of diverse academic support professionals (entry-level, non-tenure track professionals, tenure-track/tenured professionals).
- Approve DEI training for the executive board.
- Plan the bi-annual Diversity Conference.